Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Carey Mulligan and the Miu Miu Saga

I was just looking over the pics from last night's MET gala to come the the conclusion that I really enjoy Carey Mulligan's fashion choices. Both last night and at the Oscars, she presented herself as young, hip, and classy, and in my book, that is the winning combination for any girl in their early to mid twenties. I really like the fact that she adds a certain wit to her look, as well. Remember the  mini kitchen utensils on her Oscar dress? Really, though, I just think that her style is indicative of my generation, of who we are and how we dress, at least for right now.

photos taken from style.com; Carey Mulligan in Miu Miu FW2010 @ the Met gala and in Prada @ the Oscars

With this in mind though, I have to admit that I don't know much about Mulligan besides the fact that she part of the new, hot, young Hollywood, that she is dating Shia LaBeouf, and that she is apparently a very talented, young lady. I can't really comment on that last remark though, because, frankly, I haven't seen any of her work. So, why am I suddenly enamored with Miss Carey? I think it may have something to do with my current obsession with Miu Miu's spring 2010 collection.



Truth is, I didn't click on the Miu Miu collection back in September, and I still think that the runway looks lack wearability. But, then, it all started with Tavi's innumerable Miu Miu and Prada inspired posts. (Style Rookie became a regular read for me over my rehab break.) She brought the print work to my attention, and I just kind of fell in love with these simple and quirky prints of naked women, cats, flowers, and birds. They have this 50's vibe to them, but remain distinctly Miuccia Prada. I have always appreciated Prada's designs. She has a classic, Italian elegance about her that reminds me of my mother's sense of style. However, she also has Miu Miu, a space for her to be carefree and witty with her work. In this sense, I think that she bridges the gap between the young girl who is still playful with her dress and is unwilling to conform to certain standard of dressing, and the mature woman who is confident and sure of herself and her style. Anyway, going back to the Miu Miu spring collection, when I finally saw the collection reinterpreted for the consumer, I was really hooked. The awkward overlaying and cut-outs were gone, and the collection had a new-found polish.

photos clockwise from top right: first 3 Miu Miu SS2010 from style.com, silk swallow print dress Miu Miu SS2010 from net-a-porter.com, Miu Miu platforms as part of an accessories' inspiration board by Tavi G. from stylerookie.blogspot.com

So for weeks now, I have been salivating at the mere thought of the silk swallow print dress. I dream about it. I crave it. I want it. It would just fit perfectly in my closet. It is just so versatile. It's well tailored, and so its structure makes it wearable on the most formal of occasions. Yet, meanwhile, its playful print gives it just enough of that witty, young edge that makes it just right for a twenty-something year old. Heck, I could wear out for drinks with friends, just like how I could wear it to that important job interview or to dinner with my very picky and prickly father. But, that is enough dreaming. The fact is that this dress costs over 2000$, and that is way, way out my budget, even if it were to go on sale for 70% off!

So, in the meantime, I have become determined to find the right "Miu Miu-inspired" piece.That bird print is just so amazing: understated yet fun! While searching for a new dress for my birthday dinner, I came across a frilly number from Miss Selfridge but I am nowhere near London! Then, I friend told me about the Zara knock off for 39.99$. It's has the Miu Miu-esque cat print, but it also has a jumper feel to it and is far more casual than the real deal. I tried it on; but without the tailored look to it, it just wasn't what I wanted. Besides, the store only had a medium in stock, and I really should be wearing a small (even if I have gained a few pounds). Then, I found both a skirt and a dress from H&M that drew on the Miu Miu prints. I got excited. I even thought about the perfect pairing of the skirt with a black tank, and these great bird broaches that I found at the local thrift. Helas! It was a no go. The dress was cut to wide on the shoulders, making me look like a line-backer from the back, and the skirt looked like it could have been purchased at Wal Mart as a part of the Miley Cyrus' collection. At least, I still have the awesome broaches from the thrift store! Anyway, I am finally off to New York this weekend, so I am hoping to feed my bird craving there... hoping and praying that is! Worst comes to worst, I will settle for the Zara frock.

No comments:

Post a Comment